As many of you know, I have a Samsung Focus windows phone. Wonderful device, it’s easy to use…and I’m not a part of the “apple machine” anymore. However during the recent updates to the new 7.5 operating system (known as Mango), there were some folks who’ve had a heck of a time getting their device to do the update. This isn’t something on Microsoft, it’s actually related to the phone’s manufacturer and the firmware installed. Here’s the instructions I followed from when I couldn’t get the final step to update.
- Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune client.
- Click on Phone/Settings/Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If it is, do that and enjoy…if not keep going.
- Select Update again, only as soon as you click it, immediately disconnect your computer from the internet. (Pull the cable/disconnect wifi/etc. Personally, I had my wifi connection open and was able to shut it off in 1-2 seconds.) This will cause the program to cycle through the Update only not go through
- It takes about a minute or so, but it will then say an Update is available. This is 7392, a post-NoDo security update.
- Now, turn your internet back on and do this update. It may take 1-2 tries to work.
- Following that, run the update again and you should see the update for 7403 (security update). Run it and you’re good to go. If not, follow the same procedure as above, and it’ll pop up. It may take a couple tries. (Took me 4 tries.)
- Just as 7403 finishes it is supposed to auto install 7720 (Mango). If it doesn’t happen, follow the same steps above again.
There you have it.
Don’t have a windows phone? I suggest looking at them…they’re a lot better than most folks would think. 🙂